A fellow shop owner on Etsy, Jennifer from Virginia Haskins & Company recently wrote,
I love your blog and just remembered, after looking at your silver bowl, that you are from Southern Pines/Pinehurst. My husband and I visit every year in February (and sometimes in between). He, of course, plays golf, and I shop and wander around enjoying the beautiful homes. I always visit the shops in Southern Pines, but would love to learn about any off-the-beaten path places I should check out. It is one of my favorite places!
I think I have a few suggestions.
- Page Furniture 130 East Illinois Ave., a consignment store that has been occupying this space for quite some time with fine vintage, antique and new furniture
- The Sandhills Coalition Resale shops (4 different thrift stores) 1117 West Pennsylvania Ave.
Venture a little farther south down US Highway 1 to my old neighborhood– downtown Aberdeen,
- Plan B Furniture 122 Garrett St., new furniture straight from High Point at discounted prices, mostly Vanguard which makes furniture for Anthropologie and Annie Selke. My mom bought the Astrid chair there for half the retail price.
- 111 Main a unique store carrying both new and antique home furnishings, custom upholstery and fine gifts. Just stepping in to the old hardware building is a treat.
- Renee’s Fabrics & Accessories (next door to 111 Main) affordable and designer fabric selections, lighting and an extensive shade selection, throw pillows and accessories. Renee’s made my long Schumacher pillow.
- Railside Antiques, 123 Exchange St. if you fancy some architectural salvage, they have everything from pedestal sinks to beautiful antiques
- The Garden Room (next to Renee’s), unique garden and home accessories including Guy Wolff pots…love!
- Habitat for Humanity Store 2268 NC Hwy 5
Moving on to some outlying areas where the potential for treasure increases exponentially,
- Adam’s Thrift Shop 250 North Walnut St. Pinebluff, NC, **my favorite** lots of furniture begging for a redo, vintage and junk treasures galore. Disclaimer-hope you don’t mind cigarette smoke, the owner and some patrons still smoke inside.
- The Peddler (next door to Adams) more vintage and junk treasures, be prepared to dig!
- There is one more shop just a block south of the Peddler and Adams, I don’t recall the name but they are all close together
- Karen’s Attic US Hwy 1 North Southern Pines, NC, antiques and vintage at fair prices, here are some of the things I’ve seen at Karen’s in the past,
- West End antique corner 5336 NC Hwy 211 West End, NC, an intersection of three different antique shops, get your fill in one trip. Includes Medleyanna’s, Pasttimes and The Olde Boarding House.
Hope this helps Jennifer, if you hit all of these places you should go home with a good haul. Thanks for your email!Thanks for playing,
And now a quick word from our sponsors!
The Estate of Things recently set up shop at the MART Collective in Venice, CA. Come by and see us!