A Frame Project: Week 1

We kicked off the A-frame renovation in Week 1. We had our own #demoday and we removed the tan vinyl siding and vinyl trim from the house and uncovered a strange little add-on cavity underneath the vinyl at the end of the “A” on the left front side. It was a strange and unnecessary design flaw that we promptly removed. After removing that we found that the leg of the “A” on the left side was then shorter than the right. So we’ll fix that soon enough.

Just for fun, here’s a refresher of what she looked like when we purchased.

There is a lot of discussion about changing the window and door configuration on the front of the house and we’ve all agreed that would be best to expand the view and improve the design. We’re adding windows up top and there will now be four doors with two of them being fixed.

We uncovered T-111 heavy textured siding that was popular in the 70s and 80s. I can’t say that I’m a fan. It was an affordable siding option back then, a material that kind of mimicked board and batten and barn wood at the same time.

In week 1, we also started the processing of pruning and trimming and clearing built up yard debris. It’s a process that will continue.

This awkward design that is the covered entry on the side will disappear next week. We’re looking forward to exposing the chimney and making it more of a standout as an architectural element.

After some demo, it was an obvious and simple task to rebuild the deck. The existing deck was compromised structurally and long past it’s prime.

Not a bad start at all! Check back soon for more progress at the A-Frame Renovation.
 
 
 
 

And now a quick word from our sponsors!




The Estate of Things recently set up shop at
the MART Collective in Venice, CA. Come by and see us!

Written By
More from Sarah

Mi Favorito: Etsy Art

What I’ve found on the hunt for art at Etsy, Poppies Horse and Halter ...
Read More