Subscribe to our Shop TEOT newsletter
Subscribe to receive TEOT blog posts via email
Email Address

A-Frame Renovation

A Frame Project: Week 1

We kicked off the A-frame renovation in Week 1. We had our own #demoday and we removed the tan vinyl siding and vinyl trim from the house and uncovered a strange little add-on cavity underneath the vinyl at the end of the “A” on the left front side. It was a strange and unnecessary design flaw that we promptly removed. After removing that we found that the leg of the “A” on the left side was then shorter than the right. So we’ll fix that soon enough.

Just for fun, here’s a refresher of what she looked like when we purchased.

There is a lot of discussion about changing the window and door configuration on the front of the house and we’ve all agreed that would be best to expand the view and improve the design. We’re adding windows up top and there will now be four doors with two of them being fixed.

We uncovered T-111 heavy textured siding that was popular in the 70s and 80s. I can’t say that I’m a fan. It was an affordable siding option back then, a material that kind of mimicked board and batten and barn wood at the same time.

In week 1, we also started the processing of pruning and trimming and clearing built up yard debris. It’s a process that will continue.

This awkward design that is the covered entry on the side will disappear next week. We’re looking forward to exposing the chimney and making it more of a standout as an architectural element.

After some demo, it was an obvious and simple task to rebuild the deck. The existing deck was compromised structurally and long past it’s prime.

Not a bad start at all! Check back soon for more progress at the A-Frame Renovation.

share

A-Frame Project: Inspiration

In case you missed the intro, this is the A-frame project. Click here, to go back and read the beginning post.

We’ve been scouring the web, looking for images of the right dormer examples for the A-frame and I think we collected some good ones. Here are some other images that are providing inspiration for our A-frame renovation.

 

We know we want cable railing or a metal element in our railing on the front deck. But we’re on the fence as to whether or not we use metal conduit, or galvanized pipe or spring for a Feeney cable railing system.

 

this exterior is a huge source of inspiration and we’ve ordered black windows

 

we thought about using a “dog-eared” window on the front like below but we ultimately decided we didn’t like the corners,

 

 

there’s a lot of angled storage opportunities in an a-frame

Color picks for the exterior will be on the darker side. This Benjamin Moore color, Brewster Grey is an interesting color. I recommended this for a master vanity color and it worked fabulously!

I like this combination a lot, interested in the way they chose to trim the windows in white. I also really like that rich teal color. Our doors and windows are black.

You can check out the rest of what I’m pinning for the A-frame project here.

share

A-Frame Project: Introduction

We’ve got some projects on the burner right now and we want to introduce you to the first one, the A-frame project.

The A-frame architectural style is popping these days as a second home and a family dwelling and we wanted to get in on the fun. This house is in a lake community called Whispering Pines and is across the street from Lake Thagard with a lake view from the front of the house.

Here is what the house looked like in the beginning,

 

 

 

 

The Plan

A person of regular height does not have enough head room to get up the stairs to the master bedroom without some serious ducking. Clearly, not okay for daily living. Also, you cannot get furniture up the current stairwell to the master bedroom or to the loft sitting area. So we’ve got to build a dormer on to the side to alleviate both of these issues. While we’re at it, we’re going to carry this dormer all the way up to the master bedroom to create a nook that a bed can fit in perfectly. In this dormer, we’ll add more windows which equals more light in to the master and the stairwell. The dormer will have the same siding as the front and back of the A-frame.

The exterior requires new siding, a new deck and the removal of that strange little dog house structure on the right front side that serves as a covered entry for the side entrance. The demo of this little section will expose the chimney and make it more of a stand out architectural feature.

A change in the window configuration on the front has been planned. We want to increase natural light and expand our view of the lake across the street. So those windows will be widened. We wanted to go all glass on the front but for budgetary reasons we need to compromise.

I’m into green cabinets but not grass green so they’ll be going and the kitchen will be re-designed with open shelving, cement quartz countertops, new appliances and new lighting.

We’ll install new flooring throughout the main living area and update light fixtures. So yeah, I’m ready to get started.

share