This is Laney’s future big girl room right after the crew started removing the old trim, 5 gazillion phone jacks and repairing the walls. Sorry ’bout the blur.
This is the room after a few days of re-coating the walls with and some new trim. We also added a light.
This is one seriously tiny and dark closet with no door. I expanded to two hanging bars that are each about 24″ long, it’s a good thing she’s a toddler. We also added those two little shelves in the back for baskets and maybe some shoes.
This is the girl that room will belong to,
She told me maybe the blanket on her big girl bed “could be pink, then purple then black”. I said we’ll think about it. Then she said not “light blue or dark blue, that wouldn’t be good”. She is not quite 2 1/2 and she’s got some opinions.
Before I officially listed my previous home for sale one of the things on the punch list was to give the master bath a quick upgrade without remodeling the entire thing. Out of necessity we had the entire shower re-tiled months before. The whole story about the mystery leak is here.
I previously posted the before of this bathroom and talked about the plans I had for the upgrade. I needed a fix that stayed consistent with the overall style of the house and a look that would be pleasing to most. Here’s what I set out to do with this quick fix-up:
- upgrade cabinetry
- replace existing mirror with 2 framed mirrors
- eliminate recessed lighting and replace with sconces
- paint walls & ceiling
- replace window
- install new hardware
- install new vent fan
The cabinets were clearly the biggest eye sore in the room. They were vinyl coated, particle board cabinets with flat fronts. Some of the vinyl veneer was pealing away revealing the particle board.
We needed new lighting, some new jewelry (hardware) and to make the biggest impact we needed to tweak the cabinets and replace the dated mirror. Clearly I’m stoked about taking photos of myself at 7:00 am and likely the workout that day at the gym too!
To avoid ripping all of the cabinetry out and everything with that I decided that the most cost effective and attractive way to go would be to have the Quality Cabinet Co. fabricate new drawer fronts and new cabinet doors and install them on the existing cabinet frame. After measurements were taken the building commenced and this is what we ended up with,
The next big element to tackle on the list was the very ugly and huge frame-less mirror that was glued to the wall. The regular carpentry crew came over to remove the mirror and remove the recessed lighting and patch those holes. The electrician followed closely on their heels to rough in for the sconces. I had our regular painters do the ceiling for me because I like to avoid holding things over my head for a sustained amount of time whenever possible and then I painted the trim and walls myself with Benjamin Moore’s Dove Wing.
Sconces are the Steiner from Pottery Barn which are really substantial fixtures for the price but unfortunately are no longer available. All hardware including the pulls, knobs and towel rings are from Lowe’s.
And here’s the result,
I think it turned out great without spending 10K. Here are some suggested things you can do to get a quick upgrade in your bath,
So we’ve checked out the field of choices for the exterior wall light for the front porch of the Grout Cottage. And this is the choice,
I chose the Masonic lantern because I needed a hanging fixture with a lantern style. I liked the simplicity of the hook and loop and the curve of the framing detail around the seeded glass. I am pleased with the scale and the end result, see for yourself.
Here it is in action on the front porch of the house,
I know the house looks finished in the photo and I haven’t shown you the complete renovation but it’s coming I promise. Can you tell what paint color it is?
I want to put the right jewelry on the Grout Cottage now that she’s all gussied up. Let’s take a look at the field,
1. Charter 1 2. York 3. Solara Hills 4. Masonic 5. Irvington Manor 6. Cordelia 7. Monterrey Bay 8. Tolland 9. Dawson
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Leaving dirty yellow, Pepto pink, white and a battleship gray foundation would be no trouble at all.
From previous experience I know how painstaking the process of choosing an exterior paint color can be and I didn’t want to be rushed or procrastinate. I’ll sheepishly remind you all that I once had a house painted three times. In order to get ahead and never make that mistake again, I let samples stay up for something like two months at the Grout Cottage.
In gathering inspiration at the start of the project on the Grout Cottage pinboard, I pinned a few color combinations on Queen Anne style homes. For a hot minute, I kicked around maybe stepping away from the blues, greens & grays and doing some sort of terra cotta combo. Ultimately, I couldn’t depart from what I love so much so I decided that I would do something in the blue/gray family.
There were a few Benjamin Moore colors I have been curious about and wanted to try including:
1- Woodlawn Blue 2- Hollingsworth Green 3- Stratton Blue 4- Wythe Blue
I narrowed it to Woodlawn & Wythe fairly easily. After viewing them at different times of the day, I found that the intense sun washed Woodlawn Blue out significantly at certain times of the day.
So I chose Wythe Blue.
And then the rest of the players fell into place after that.